ITEC1001 Section 1 and 19 August 29, 2007 Notes
The development and maintenance of Web pages. There are 5 major steps to Web publishing: plan a web site, analyze and design a web site, create a web site, deploy a web site and maintain a web site.
- A business transaction that occurs over an electronic network.
- Three types
The transmission of messages and files using a computer network.
Can be done either through the World Wide Web or a seperate program such as Microsoft Outlook.
File Transfer Protocol- Internet standard that permits the process of file uploading and downloading with other computers on the Internet.
Use Secure FTP. (SFTP)
Non-secure FTP can compromise important Information.
Newsgroups & Message Boards
- Newsgroup: is an online area where users can have a discussion about a particular subject. You post a subject as a message and others can reply to that message.
- Message board: is a web based version of a newsgroup. They are easier to use than a newsgroup.
An area where multiple users can communicate. Chat rooms can often be found on Instant Messaging software, or various places online.
Real-time Internet communications service that notifies you when others are online and allows you to exchange messages. Used mainly in a social enviroment.
Also called Voice over IP(Internet Protocol)allows users to speak to each other over the internet. It requires a high-speed internet connection; internet telephone service; and a microphone or telephone depending on the service. Calls to users with the same service are usually free.
- Short for Internet etiquette
- The code of acceptable behaviors users should follow while on the internet
- Sarcasm is stricly prohibited, because it is really really hard.
- re-read messages and check to whom you are sending.
- Be Nice
- Posting in all capital letters is equivalent to shouting, and is frowned upon by the Internet community.
- NEVER POST ANYTHING THAT YOU ARE NOT SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO.
- This includes videos, essays, personal letters, and anything you have not written or created yourself.